Saturday, September 03, 2005


I have had two migraines this week. One on Sunday, all day, which totally sucked, of course. It hovered around, never really going away, until Thursday, when WHACK! WHAM! POW! I was flattened. Luke came home and I was a wreck. And worried, because I needed to hold up for Niko's SURGERY on Friday! We needed to go downtown to the hospital (not Childrens) so the doctor could pop open Niko's blocked tear ducts. Luke worked, so I took Niko by myself. Nothing to eat or drink before, so I was afraid Niko would be starving and emotional. So Marilyn and Jason came over and the men gave Niko a blessing, and me one, as well. It helped.

So anyway, we went, and Niko did amazingly. He played with the other kids in pre-op, and I put on a gown and a hairnet and went in with him while he was anesthetized. (He was in love with the anesthesiologist...he asked our general health questions with Niko sitting on his knee gazing with unabashed love into his eyes.) Niko screamed, which I told them to expect, so I sang to him and knew that every scream meant a big mouthful of gas. He was asleep pretty quickly. His tear ducts passageways were too small, so instead of using a blunt metal wire to pop open any membranes obstructing the passages, they ended up using little balloons to open the passageway. Pretty smooth...20 minutes in and out. The surgeon said to expect some bleeding from the eyes, nose, and mouth (because the tears run into the back of the nose and into the mouth), but it should be minor and pretty much one or two days only. So Niko woke up, was cranky, ate some, cuddled some, played some, and we were out of there. Five hours start to finish.

He did bleed out of his eyes, nose, and mouth, and even though I expected it, it was extremely disconcerting. But the bleeding has stopped and he's completely back to his old self again.

The surgeon himself called last night just to see how Niko was doing and to ask if I had any questions. I thought that was above and beyond the call of duty, and I'm sending him a thank you card for that!

No comments: