Monday, July 21, 2008

I did it.


I did not make this decision lightly, but I felt that they had ample time and warning. I called the school today and gave the name of the teachers so that this matter could be fully investigated. And I was severely disappointed. When I again stressed how afraid these teachers were to come forward, the woman said, "That makes me suspicious of these teachers." I said, "No, that makes me suspicious of the school." She thanked me and promptly hung up. So do I feel like the school will investigate this properly? I most certainly do not. They are not my advocate. Their words make me feel like they're gunning for the teachers, and I don't trust them to do a thorough investigation.


I had much more to say, but wasn't given the opportunity. I wanted to tell them that the matter has been reported to the police, and that I have consulted an attorney. If I hear that somehow these teachers are given grief for their report, then I will call down fire from heaven if I have to. I'm going to call the school again after hours and leave a lengthy message, and then send a letter. I have to get all of this finished tonight, because I leave early in the morning.


The most important thing for you to know is that Niko and Nina are happy. They love each other and are fiercely loved by us. I'm moving this forward, but I know that I am doing so with the right spirit. This is all going to turn out for the best.


Some good news is that I'm published again. :) An online zine that I chose because they allow reprints, (I submitted Show Your Bones which was the first piece published in The Vestal Review) and I was charmed by both its enthusiastic name (Shine! A Magazine of Flash!) and its little fluttering butterflies on the first page. I do allow my whimsy to guide me. So look for that in October.
And these heels? Despite it all, I'm still me. :)



6 comments:

Noel said...

I am very proud of you for standing up for your child. You are doing the right thing and it is because you love not only your children but the other children that will come into contact with whatever person did do something to Niko.
Noel

Katie said...

Mercedes...I'm just now catching up with your blog and I'm in tears. You inspire me so much- not because you want to, I know. The thing I thought at the end was thank goodness for your voice. I'm sure you know this about yourself by now (and I'm so excited that publishers recognize it too!), but you have the most amazing, communicative, articulate, funny, pointed, expressive voice. I think that's one of your most powerful tools for protecting Niko. And I think Luke's blessing was beautiful. I will pray so so hard for strength for you justice for the teacher and the school. I hope one day they will feel all the pain they're causing you and be sorry.

Unknown said...

Cute shoes! You'd be surprised at the pair i just bought! your post sounds calm despite it all. i know you haven't done this lightly and i know the Lord will bless you and look after those teachers too because of the love you have for them. It WILL be okay!

Tes said...

I am diggin the shoes! A girl can't have too many or enough colors. I hope you got a pencil skirt to kick those things into high gear. Speaking of high gear, it seems you are in the correct gear to meet your goal for the school. Don't be put off by the "person" answering the phone. Take their names and add them to the list. This will come to an end and you will have been heard. Justice has many forms once will come to Niko.
take care,
Tes

Belkycita said...

Mercedes, I am in tears. I would love to give you a hug right now. I'll be praying for you. I can see you are doing the right things. If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know. Maybe writing to the newspaper informing them of the lack of help you are receiving.
You just let me know

Nancy said...

You GO girl.