Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I don't have wings! Of course not. You're a boy!

We're all a bit under the weather and we're hanging around watching The Dark Crystal. I haven't seen it in years and years, but it's amazing how many lines I remember. This is my childhood, right here. Kind of opulent and whimsical and elegantly dark. This is a joy.

I have been SO frustrated on the writing front! Comes and goes, highs and lows, etc etc, but it's true. I've been mentally scattered, and it has been suggested that I keep a singular goal in mind. But if you want to hear about writing, there's always www.abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com.

After The Dark Crystal, I'll have to watch Labyrinth. Not while the kids are around, though, because Brian Froud in all of his creative splendor is still a little too scary for them. My gosh! When I was a kid? The Skexis with their whining "Hmmmmm" and bony bodies were mad crazy! Now I think that Jen looks a lot like Michael Jackson. Which...is its own kind of scary.

3 comments:

Katie said...

oh boy- I must say that Eric forced me to watch the Dark Crystal one time and it was a true test of my love for him. Now Labrynth on the other hand- LOVE IT! I definitely need to make Eric watch that to see if he loves me as much as I love him:).

Unknown said...

I've still never seen the dark crystal. How did we grow together without ever watching that one? Labyrinth and Princess Bride over and over again, yes... I do remember wanting to see it, but it just never happened... James and I may have to go rent it this weekend.

Inkpot said...

I can empathise with your writing frustration Mercedes. Just hang in there. I love the Dark Crystal. My favourite part is distilling the living essense from the podlings. I love that scene! there was talk a while ago about remaking it. I think that's a bad idea. I love Labyrinth as well. David Bowie will always be the Goblin King for me. I wish he'd come and take me away. :)